Covid-19 resilience in Mongolian pastoralist communities
How to Cite
Covid-19 presents risks in pastoral communities as herders are isolated, have limited health care access, travel distances and interact with diverse publics. Including mobile people in Covid-19 planning and response presents a unique challenge for governments. Here we examine Covid-19 experience in Mongolian pastoral communities where interviews identified strong support for pandemic control efforts. Restrictive measures were followed and herders reported no local cases. A cohesive national spirit and clear messaging from the Health Ministry contributed to initial success. This enabled herders to continue customary practices and find positive perspectives during the pandemic.
- Brand, S., R. Aziza, I. Kombe, C. Agoti, J. Hilton, K. Rock, A. Parisi, D. Nokes, M. Keeling and E. Barasa. 2020. ‘Forecasting the scale of the COVID-19 epidemic in Kenya’. MedRxiv. https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.04.09.20059865
- Devi, S. 2020. ‘Infectious diseases upsurge in Mongolia’. The Lancet Infectious Diseases 20 (3): 289.
- Duclos, D. and J. Palmer. 2020. ‘COVID-19 in the Context of Forced Displacement: Perspectives from the Middle East and East Africa. Social Science in Humanitarian Action Platform (SSHAP)’. www.socialscienceinaction.org/resources/background- paper-covid-19-and-forced-displacement-in-the-middle-east-and-east-africa/
- Erkhembayar, R., E. Dickinson, D. Badarch, I. Narula, G. Thomas, C. Ochir and S. Manaseki-Holland. 2020. ‘Early policy actions and emergency response to the COVID-19 pandemic in Mongolia: experiences and challenges’. The Lancet Global Health 8 (9): e1234-e1241
- Global Health Security. 2020. 2019 Global Health Security Index. www.ghsindex.org/ Global News. 2020. ‘Teenager dies of bubonic plague after eating marmot in Mongolia’. globalnews.ca/news/7183608/bubonic-plague-death-marmot/
- Griffith, E., L. Pius, P. Manzano and C. Jost. 2020. ‘COVID-19 in pastoral contexts in the greater Horn of Africa: Implications and recommendations’. Pastoralism 10 (1): 1–12.
- Johns Hopkins University. 2020. Mongolia. Coronavirus Research Centre. coronavirus. jhu. edu/region/mongolia
- National Statistics Office. 2020. Population and Housing. Census 2020. Government of Mongolia, Ulaan Baatar
- Rahmanian, M. and N. Naghizadeh. 2020. ‘COVID-19 places Iran’s nomadic pastoral- ists at a crossroads’. Agriculture and Human Values 37: 599–601. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10460-020-10093-x
- Simula, G., T. Farinella, N. Maru, T. Mohamed, M. Taye and P. Tsering. 2020. ‘COVID- 19 and pastoralism: reflections from three continents’. Journal of Peasant Studies. https://doi.org/10.1080/03066150.2020.1808969
- Yousuf, A., S. Arifin, R. Musa and M. Isa. 2020. ‘Prevention and control of COVID-19 in pastoral community through One Health Approach’. One Health. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.onehlt.2020.100181